You work hard exercising before your vacation so you look and feel great …then you splurge on the vacation … end up putting on a few pounds … then after the vacation work hard to get those pounds off or have a hard time getting back into your schedule. Has this sort of thing happened to you before? It’s a very common occurrence. Here are 5 tips on how to stay fit while on vacation to help avoid repeating that pattern:
1. Have an idea of what your plans will be. If you know you will never work out in the evening on a trip, figure out if you would work out in the middle of the day or if morning is the only option. Then figure out when you will most want to work out. Sometimes morning is the best option, as you get your workout finished early and feel good throughout the day.
Perhaps you enjoy working hard after you’ve splurged during the day, so working out in the evening is good for you. Everyone is different. Just remember, you won’t always feel like working out, so try to have an idea of your workout schedule before you start your vacation.
2. Stick to your workout schedule before your vacation to ensure you’ve gotten those workouts in. Be vigilant before you go as this will prepare you better and make sure you’re feeling your best. Also, you’re going to feel better about having fun on your trip!
3. Try to work out hard the day before you leave for vacation or even the day of. This will help you start your trip off right, and your metabolism will be raised.
4. Make your workouts fun! You don’t have to do your typical workouts. You could walk around the city you’re visiting to see the sights. You could go to a local salsa- or dance class to experience what the scene is like there. You could work out on the beach or ski slopes, climb a mountain, walk or jog in the park, ice skate at the local ice rink, or play tennis at some nearby courts. There are many activities you can choose from, so have fun with your vacation workouts! Plus, the exercise you choose can add to your vacation experiences!
5. Return to your workouts as soon as you get back from vacation. It can be difficult to return to your usual schedule after returning from vacation. However, it’s usually just a case of getting right back into it, and you can be back on track with your schedule within a few days to a week. Plus, working out the day you get back or day after you get back can be a great way for you to continue feeling good and relaxed after your vacation.
If you stick with as many tips as possible, you can stay on track. If you end up not being able to fit in any workouts on your vacation, try to stick with tips 2, 3, and 5. If it’s only a weekend getaway, that may be enough. Enjoy your vacation, and have fun with your workouts!