Do you want your stomach and abs to feel tighter? Do you want longer and leaner muscles? Do you want to improve your flexibility? Do you want to have more control and stability? How about improve your posture? With Pilates reformer workouts you can improve these and more!
Here are the reasons why I think Pilates reformer workouts are great:
1. Training on the reformer increases obliques and transversus abdominus activation. Basically, doing reformer exercises works your abdominals extra hard!
2. Working on the reformer works the stabilizing muscles along with the prime movers (main muscle) much more than traditional weight training. So, you get a longer and leaner look. Also, this creates a more well-rounded strength when combined with weight training.
3. You will find you have much more control over your body. Especially if you are an athlete, dancer, etc., you will feel the benefit in your training. For everyone, though, this is relevant!
4. The reformer targets the legs and arms much more than matwork Pilates. Matwork Pilates is still great, and I encourage all types of Pilates. However, working on the reformer a couple of times a week really makes a difference.
5. Reformer workouts can be very challenging and hard! Sometimes Pilates is misunderstood by gym enthusiasts as being not being very difficult or a form of relaxation.
It can be a form of relaxation and some people may prefer this type. However, Pilates work can be extremely challenging to master, and there are exercises which are difficult for everyone – even bodybuilders! Try out a Pilates Power Reformer Workout and prepare to be worked in a new way.
6. Reformer workouts are fun! Some people like all types of Pilates. Some prefer one type over another, such as only machinery aka reformer, Cadillac, chair, or barrels.
Whichever way you are or even if you don’t know, reformer workouts can be enjoyable. You are continuously flowing through exercises and are on a moving carriage. It can feel nice to push in and out on the footbar to create carriage movement, or you can just enjoy the movements in general.
7. Reformer workouts are energizing! Working out on the reformer can really make you feel great. After a good reformer workout, you may feel tired and worked but you also feel energized and alert, lengthened so you are standing taller, more toned like your body’s been working, less stressed, and more relaxed.
Try out a Pilates reformer class, book a session or look it up online. The style I do and love is Stott Pilates, but there are a number of excellent systems. Trying it out is the only way to know if it is for you. Enjoy! I know I will be enjoying some reformer workouts this week!